The first wine grapes were planted in the Lewis-Clark Valley in the 1870's by French settlers. By the early 1900's Lewiston and vicinity was home to several hundred acres of grapes. French and German wine makers were producing wines gathering international acclaim. In 1908 a Lewiston wine took 18th place out 800 in a competition of the world's best wines. Unfortunately, prohibition wiped out the industry. Thousands of gallons of juice and wine were shipped to Spokane to be made into vinegar.
More to come... check back soon!